oung Jarl Squad vikings shout as they march through the streets of Lerwick in the Shetland Islands of Scotland on the morning of the Up Helly Aa fire festival. The celebration, introduced by men returning from the Napoleonic Wars of the early 19th century, takes place annually on the last Tuesday of January. Click through for a look at more of the week's most charming images.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
Subscribe to the Week