Young Jarl Squad vikings shout as they march through the streets of Lerwick in the Shetland Islands of Scotland on the morning of the Up Helly Aa fire festival. The celebration, introduced by men returning from the Napoleonic Wars of the early 19th century, takes place annually on the last Tuesday of January. Click through for a look at more of the week's most charming images.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Diagnosing Die Hard's craziest injuries: A professional weighs in
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
Subscribe to the Week