Young Jarl Squad vikings shout as they march through the streets of Lerwick in the Shetland Islands of Scotland on the morning of the Up Helly Aa fire festival. The celebration, introduced by men returning from the Napoleonic Wars of the early 19th century, takes place annually on the last Tuesday of January. Click through for a look at more of the week's most charming images.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Tony Blair: The Cassandra of the Middle East
- Is China entering its own military quagmire abroad?
Subscribe to the Week