soldier carries an elderly survivor as he runs down a stretch of the road to Lingguan township in Ya'an, Sichuan province. Rescuers struggled to reach a remote, rural corner of southwestern China as the toll of the dead and missing from the country's worst earthquake in three years climbed to more than 200, with almost 1,000 serious injuries. Click through for a look at more of the week's most captivating images.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
Subscribe to the Week