Neal Whitman is a columnist for the online resource Visual Thesaurus, and an occasional guest writer for the podcast "Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing." He teaches ESL composition at The Ohio State University, and blogs at Literal-Minded, where he writes about linguistics from the point of view of a husband and father.
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- A linguist's guide to HULK SMASH
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week