FOLLOW THE WEEK ON FACEBOOK
July 22, 2014
Mario Tama/Getty Images

An Amazon tribe thought to be lost has reappeared — and some of its members have contracted influenza.

Brazil's government department FUNAI, which oversees the affairs of indigenous peoples, recently announced that at least seven members of a long-isolated Amazon tribe are infected with the flu after contact with the outside world. Researchers fear those with influenza will spread the disease to other tribe members who aren't immunized and haven't built up any natural immunity due to their isolation. FUNAI announced that a government-sponsored medical team treated the infected tribe members, but their return home is alarming for the others.

"We can only hope that [the FUNAI team members] were able to give out treatment before the sickness was spread to the rest of the tribe in the forest," Chris Fagan, executive director at the Upper Amazon Conservancy in Jackson, Wyoming, told Science magazine. "Only time will tell if they reacted quickly enough to divert a catastrophic epidemic."

Last month, some of the tribe's members left the forest of the Upper Envira River in Brazil, presumably to escape from illegal loggers and cocaine traffickers in a Peruvian park, Science reports. Their emergence marked the first time in recent history that an uncontacted tribe left its home to visit a settled population, The Independent reports. According to FUNAI's announcement, the group claimed to have been attacked by outsiders, and the Xinane River village "lies along a major route used by cocaine smugglers."

The Rainforest Rescue Coalition speculates that the tribe may be part of a group of Chitonahua people. Researchers estimate there could be as many as 4,000 uncontacted people in the region, making the spread of influenza extremely worrisome. Survival International is currently urging the Peruvian and Brazilian governments to protect the uncontacted tribes. Meghan DeMaria

2:01 p.m. ET

Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Monday demanded an end to sanctuary cities, saying such policies "cannot continue."

"When cities and states continue to refuse to help enforce our immigration laws, our nation is less safe," Sessions said. He added: "Countless Americans would be alive today … if these policies of sanctuary cities were ended."

Sessions went on to say that the Department of Justice would look to "claw back" grants from jurisdictions that do not comply with federal authorities' immigration-related efforts.

Trump has already signed an executive order to block federal funding to sanctuary cities. At least 633 counties in the United States "limit how much local police can cooperate with requests from federal authorities to hold immigrants in detention," The New York Times reports. Jeva Lange

1:56 p.m. ET
Spencer Platt/Getty Images

Cash Cab is coming back. Discovery Channel announced Monday that it is reviving the Emmy-winning game show, which previously ran for 10 seasons until its cancelation in 2012. The series will return later this year.

While the new Cash Cab will still feature the usual unsuspecting passengers getting into innocuous cabs only to find out they're part of a game show, the revival will include the added bonus of sometimes featuring celebrities behind the wheel. Passengers will still be evicted from the cab should they get three questions wrong, and a cash prize will still be up for grabs.

Comedian David Steinberg has signed on as executive producer, though a host has yet to be announced.

So, New Yorkers, next time you're about to call an Uber, you might want to reconsider. Becca Stanek

1:33 p.m. ET
JIM WATSON/AFP/Getty Images

President Trump's approval rating hit a new low Monday, with just 36 percent of Americans approving of the president, Gallup has found. Fifty-seven percent of people disapprove of Trump's performance in office.

Prior to Monday, Trump's lowest approval rating was 37 percent, which he hit March 18 following the announcement of the Republican health-care bill to replace ObamaCare and Trump's claims that he was "wiretapped" by former President Barack Obama. He also recorded his highest disapproval rating of 58 percent on March 18.

The highest disapproval rating of Obama's entire presidency was 55 percent, which he hit twice in his eight years as commander-in-chief. Politico's Gabriel Debenedetti notes that Trump has hit a disapproval rating of 55 percent or more 12 times since becoming president on Jan. 20.

Gallup tracks American's daily approval of the president, with the results coming from 1,500 adults across the U.S. The margin of error is plus or minus 3 percent. Jeva Lange

1:06 p.m. ET
Alex Wong/Getty Images

Breitbart News' former executive chair might now serve as White House chief strategist, but that apparently doesn't help the conservative news organization get an in up on Capitol Hill. In fact, it just might do the opposite: On Monday, the Standing Committee of the Senate Press Gallery denied Breitbart's request for permanent press credentials for Capitol Hill, The Daily Beast reports, citing a need for "more answers" regarding Stephen Bannon's role with the company.

The committee expressed concerns about Bannon's potentially ongoing involvement in the news organization. In response, Breitbart's Larry Solov sent a written masthead to the committee purporting to show that Bannon severed ties with the media organization in November, but beyond "us trusting Larry," a committee member noted that there was no actual evidence proving Bannon had divorced himself from Breitbart.

Breitbart additionally irked the committee by sending the documents "late Thursday" when the deadline was Friday morning:

Other details and clarification the committee will seek from Breitbart are the fuller explanations of roles of people on the masthead, explanation of any of their roles on other Bannon-related projects (Glittering Steel production company, Government Accountability Institute), clarification on news reports that Rebekah Mercer is involved in Breitbart editorial decisions, and more information on the location of Breitbart's office. [The Daily Beast]

Until they get permanent approval, Breitbart reporters can continue to receive temporary press passes. Jeva Lange

12:44 p.m. ET
Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

The biggest news story of the day might be what Republicans plan to do next following the humiliating defeat of their health-care bill last week, but you wouldn't know it from the White House newsletter. Monday's 1600 Daily features a memo about jobs ("it's all about jobs"), a peek at Trump's schedule ("11:00 a.m.: President Trump participates in a roundtable with women small business owners"), and a 360-degree view of the Oval Office, but it conspicuously fails to mention health care even once.

The bruised Trump White House is apparently trying to move on from its defeat entirely. The party is now refocusing on reforming the tax code, something that hasn't been done in about 30 years. Before they embark on tax reform, however, Republicans have to pass a new spending bill, or risk a government shutdown.

In the meantime, might 1600 Daily direct your attention to Reince Priebus' letter honoring Greek Independence Day? Jeva Lange

12:28 p.m. ET
Dan Kitwood/Getty Images

Investigators have found "no evidence" that the man who killed four people in London last week had ties to the Islamic State or al Qaeda, The Associated Press reported Monday. The attacker, a 52-year-old English native born Adrian Russell Ajao but known as Khalid Masood, was fatally shot by police at the scene of the crime after killing four people in an SUV and knife attack Wednesday.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu told AP that Masood had "an interest in jihad," but that he apparently did not discuss the attack with international terrorist groups. Masood's attack "appear[ed] to be based on low sophistication, low tech, low cost techniques copied from other attacks," Basu added. The Islamic State claimed credit for the attack last week, calling Masood a "soldier of the state."

"At this stage we have no specific information about further threats to the public," Britain's Metropolitan Police counterterrorism chief Mark Rowley said late last week. Jeva Lange

12:21 p.m. ET

Democratic Sen. Chris Coons (Del.) revealed Monday on MSNBC's Morning Joe that he's bracing for a political showdown over President Trump's Supreme Court nominee, Neil Gorsuch. Coons said he doesn't think Gorsuch will get the requisite 60 votes from the Senate to be confirmed, and hypothesized Republicans will "almost certainly" resort to eliminating the Supreme Court nominee filibuster via the "nuclear option" to push him through — a tactic first introduced by Democrats under former President Barack Obama.

While Coons said he understands Democrats' lingering frustrations over Republicans' refusal to grant a hearing to Judge Merrick Garland — who was nominated by Obama to fill the same seat Gorsuch now seeks — he also indicated he is irked by his party's approach and by partisanship in general. "I think this is tragic," Coons said. "In talking to friends on both sides of the aisle, we've got a lot of senators concerned about where we're headed. There's Republicans still very mad at us over the 2013 change to the filibuster rule, we're mad at them about shutting down the government, they're mad at us about Gorsuch, and we are not headed in a good direction. I'm very concerned about where we're headed."

Watch the segment below. Coons' comments about the Gorsuch start at the 2:13 mark. Becca Stanek

See More Speed Reads