Seeking better pay and working conditions, fast food workers around the world will strike on May 15, the activist group Fast Food Forward announced on Wednesday.
The strikes will take place at McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, and KFC locations in India, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, New Zealand, and other countries across five continents, Al Jazeera reports. It's the expansion of a movement that started in November 2012, when about 200 workers went on strike in New York City, asking for a pay increase to $15 per hour and the ability to unionize without fear of retaliation.
"It's amazing that our fight for $15 and a union has inspired workers around the world to come together," says Ashley Cathey, a McDonald's employee from Memphis, Tennessee. "The highly-profitable fast food industry needs to know we won't stop fighting until our voices are heard."
In the United States, women make up more than two-thirds of all minimum wage workers, and many are single mothers who struggle to live off of $7.25 or less an hour. In Seattle, Mayor Ed Murray said last week that his city plans to increase the minimum wage to $15 an hour, which would be the highest in the country.
That's still less than what Louise Marie Rantzau makes in Denmark, where she earns $21 an hour working at McDonald's. Rantzau plans on protesting on May 15 in solidarity with her fellow fast food employees in the United States. "I was surprised when I heard workers in the U.S. had to fight so hard for just $15 and better rights," she said in a statement. "Fast food companies need to treat the people who make and serve their food with the same respect everywhere, and workers in Denmark are committed to supporting the workers' cause until that happens." Catherine Garcia
On Monday, former Fox News host Bill O'Reilly will release the first episode of his podcast, No Spin News, since he parted ways with Fox News last Wednesday amid allegations of sexual harassment.
Earlier this month, it was reported by The New York Times that O'Reilly and the network paid $13 million to settle with at least five women who accused O'Reilly of sexual harassment and verbal abuse, and women continued to step forward with new accusations up until the day he was fired. O'Reilly, whose show The O'Reilly Factor was the highest-rated cable news program, has denied the allegations.
No Spin News will go live at 7 p.m. ET Monday, available for premium members of O'Reilly's website. It is unclear if he will address his firing or what has happened over the last weeks. Catherine Garcia
On the eve of his first major post-presidency speech, former President Barack Obama met with at-risk men and boys in Chicago's South Side on Sunday, listening to their life stories and sharing with them struggles he faced as a young man.
The roundtable discussion Obama participated in was organized by Chicago Create Real Economic Destiny, founded by former education secretary Arne Duncan to teach job skills and provide employment opportunities. Obama was "optimistic about their potential to positively contribute to their communities and support their families because of the services provided in the program," his spokesman, Kevin Lewis, said. Obama's speech Monday at the University of Chicago will be to young community leaders and organizers. Catherine Garcia
CNN anchor Alisyn Camerota revealed on Sunday that during her time at Fox News, she was sexually harassed by the network's former chairman, Roger Ailes.
Camerota spent more than a decade at Fox News, and on CNN's Reliable Sources, she said Ailes' behavior is one of the reasons she jumped ship to CNN in 2014. Ailes was ousted from the network last July after several women, including former Fox News host Gretchen Carlson, accused him of sexual harassment; last week, the network parted ways with Bill O'Reilly after he was also accused of sexual harassment and verbal abuse by numerous women.
Camerota said Ailes suggested to her that if she wanted to have more opportunities at the network, they should meet at a hotel. "I had sort of an out-of-body experience, hovering over us in the office and thinking: 'Is this it? Is this the end of my time here? Will I be fired if I don't do this?'" she said. "I knew in my head, at that moment, I'm never going to that hotel under any circumstances, but I didn't know what that meant for me and for my career."
Camerota said that after she rebuffed his advances, Ailes tried a new tactic, "sort of emotional harassment." He scoffed at her for not "sharing his worldview," she explained, and not being conservative enough. "Sometimes, he would lecture me," Camerota said. "Sometimes, he would insult me." Ailes' attorney, Susan Estrich, told CNN that Camerota's allegations were "unsubstantiated," and her client "vigorously denies this fictional account of her interactions with him and of Fox News editorial policy." Catherine Garcia
Conservationist and I Dreamed of Africa author Kuki Gallmann was shot in the stomach and seriously injured Sunday at her ranch in Laikipia, Kenya, while surveying damage done by arsonists, authorities say.
Gallmann, 73, was airlifted to a hospital, where she underwent surgery and is in stable condition. Half of Kenya is experiencing a drought, and authorities say desperate herders are taking their animals to ranches that don't belong to them, staying there until they are driven from the land and move on to the next one. This is leading to violent confrontations, with one ranch owner killed last month while inspecting damage done to his lodge by herders. The deputy chairman of the Laikipia Farmers Association said herders from a nearby community who have taken over Gallmann's land before are suspected in the shooting. Catherine Garcia
Early projections put centrist Emmanuel Macron and far-right nationalist Marine Le Pen in position to advance to the second round of voting in France's runoff presidential election. Per numbers from The Guardian, Macron has a slight lead with about 23.7 percent of the vote and Le Pen follows with about 22 percent.
The other two (of 11 total) candidates thought to have a shot at advancing, center-right François Fillon and far-left populist Jean-Luc Mélenchon, are each projected to take around 19.5 percent. The second vote is May 7. Bonnie Kristian
A government shutdown is not what the Trump administration wants, Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Director Mick Mulvaney told Chris Wallace in a conversation on Fox News Sunday. A shutdown will occur on Friday, April 28, if Congress cannot pass a spending package by that date.
"President Trump has talked about a number of items that he would like to see in this government funding bill," Wallace said, alluding to the White House's Thursday demand that any spending package include money for President Trump's southern border wall. "Which are so important that he's willing to see the government shut down if he doesn't get them?"
"I don't think anybody is trying to get to a shutdown," Mulvaney replied. "Shutdown is not a desired end. It's not a tool. It's not something that we want to have." Still he added, the White House wants "our priorities funded and one of the biggest priorities during the campaign was border security, keeping Americans safe and part of that was a border wall."
Also on Sunday, Attorney General Jeff Sessions in an ABC interview and President Trump on Twitter both reaffirmed Trump's campaign pledge that Mexico (or perhaps Mexicans, since the plausibility of the Mexican government cutting a check is miniscule) will pay for the wall eventually:
The Democrats don't want money from budget going to border wall despite the fact that it will stop drugs and very bad MS 13 gang members.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 23, 2017
Eventually, but at a later date so we can get started early, Mexico will be paying, in some form, for the badly needed border wall.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 23, 2017
Watch Mulvaney's full interview below. Bonnie Kristian
“We're going to get paid for it one way or the other," Attorney General Jeff Sessions said of President Trump's proposed border wall while speaking with ABC's George Stephanopoulos on Sunday. After raising the issue, Stephanopoulos asked if Sessions has any evidence Mexico will fund construction, as Trump repeatedly promised on the campaign trail.
Sessions conceded he does not expect the government of Mexico to "appropriate money," but maintained the United States has other options to get money from Mexicans. We could "deal with our trade situation to create the revenue," he suggested, or, "I know there's $4 billion a year in excess payments," Sessions continued, "tax credits that they shouldn't get. Now, these are mostly Mexicans. And those kind of things add up — $4 billion a year for 10 years is $40 billion."
Sessions appears to be referencing a 2011 audit report Trump also cited while campaigning. As Politifact explains, the report said that in 2011, $4.2 billion in child tax credits was paid to people filing income taxes using an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) instead of a Social Security number. Some of these filers are illegal immigrants, but many are legal foreign workers, and the audit did not say how many are Mexican.
"The vast majority of that $4.2 billion, the filer may be undocumented, but you have to have a child to receive it," said Bob Greenstein of the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. "And the children are overwhelmingly U.S. citizens." Watch an excerpt of Sessions' remarks below. Bonnie Kristian
— This Week (@ThisWeekABC) April 23, 2017