Salsa is supposed to bring the heat to a chip-and-dip combination. But at a Texas factory, it's the tortilla chips that are on fire.
Earlier this month, firefighters responded to the "spontaneous combustion of tortilla chips" twice in three days at an Austin factory, the Austin American-Statesman reports. The factory was trying a new waste management method which "suffice it to say, didn't work out so well," the fire department said on Facebook. (The newspaper dryly notes that "officials were unclear about how the new process could have led to the fire.") When responding to the first blaze, firefighters watched as boxes of discarded chips kept lighting up. Three days later, it happened again.
Luckily, no chips were toasted inside the factory — this all happened outside. And fear not: Firefighters doused the remaining boxes to make sure the blaze didn't triple dip. Kathryn Krawczyk