- This is a big deal March 1
Thousands of pro-Russia protesters gathered outside government buildings in the eastern Ukrainian city of Kharkiv, raising Russian flags and chanting, "Russia! Russia!," local media reported.
The violence suggests Ukraine's newly implemented government will struggle to gain support in areas of the country that are home to an ethnic Russian majority. In Crimea, which houses a Russian naval base, local leaders joined forces with Russian troops to take control of government buildings.
The protests are gaining traction in the wake of Russian parliament's approval this morning to send troops to Ukraine, at the request of President Vladimir Putin.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- 10 things you need to know today: December 18, 2014
- What the media gets wrong about Jeb Bush
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week