- This is a big deal March 1
Thousands of pro-Russia protesters gathered outside government buildings in the eastern Ukrainian city of Kharkiv, raising Russian flags and chanting, "Russia! Russia!," local media reported.
The violence suggests Ukraine's newly implemented government will struggle to gain support in areas of the country that are home to an ethnic Russian majority. In Crimea, which houses a Russian naval base, local leaders joined forces with Russian troops to take control of government buildings.
The protests are gaining traction in the wake of Russian parliament's approval this morning to send troops to Ukraine, at the request of President Vladimir Putin.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week