- The Oscars March 2
"It doesn’t escape me for one moment that so much joy in my life is due to so much pain in someone else's."
An emotional Lupita Nyong'o graciously accepted the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for playing Patsey in 12 Years a Slave. Nyong'o also praised director Steve McQueen for working so hard to translate Solomon Northup's 1853 memoir to film: "I'm certain that the dead are standing around you, and they are grateful. And so am I."- - Laura Prudom
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week