- The Oscars March 2
"It doesn’t escape me for one moment that so much joy in my life is due to so much pain in someone else's."
An emotional Lupita Nyong'o graciously accepted the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for playing Patsey in 12 Years a Slave. Nyong'o also praised director Steve McQueen for working so hard to translate Solomon Northup's 1853 memoir to film: "I'm certain that the dead are standing around you, and they are grateful. And so am I."- - Laura Prudom
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- 10 things you need to know today: November 23, 2014
- How to rescue the American family and fix the broken school system in one fell swoop
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week