- The Oscars March 2
"It doesn’t escape me for one moment that so much joy in my life is due to so much pain in someone else's."
An emotional Lupita Nyong'o graciously accepted the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for playing Patsey in 12 Years a Slave. Nyong'o also praised director Steve McQueen for working so hard to translate Solomon Northup's 1853 memoir to film: "I'm certain that the dead are standing around you, and they are grateful. And so am I."- - Laura Prudom
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week