- The Oscars March 2
At the 86th annual Academy Awards, the Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar went to John Ridley for his adaptation of Solomon Northup's 1853 memoir 12 Years a Slave; the Best Original Screenplay Oscar went to writer-director Spike Jonze for Her. In his acceptance speech, Jonze described why his futuristic love story resonated with audiences: "It's messy, and that's what we all share."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why TheWeek.com is closing the comments section
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
Subscribe to the Week