- The Oscars March 2
Matthew McConaughey won the Best Actor Oscar for his powerhouse performance as H.I.V.-positive rodeo cowboy Ron Woodroof in Dallas Buyers Club.
Of his fellow nominees, McConaughey said, "All these performances were impeccable, in my opinion. I didn't see a false note anywhere."
He finished his sincere and emotional speech with a trademark "alright, alright, alright," and still managed to get in a suitably philosophical soundbite: "It's a scientific fact that gratitude reciprocates." The McConaissance continues.- - Laura Prudom
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The myth of the stay-at-home dad
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- Uber, and the growing threat of corporate surveillance
Subscribe to the Week