- The Oscars March 2
Matthew McConaughey won the Best Actor Oscar for his powerhouse performance as H.I.V.-positive rodeo cowboy Ron Woodroof in Dallas Buyers Club.
Of his fellow nominees, McConaughey said, "All these performances were impeccable, in my opinion. I didn't see a false note anywhere."
He finished his sincere and emotional speech with a trademark "alright, alright, alright," and still managed to get in a suitably philosophical soundbite: "It's a scientific fact that gratitude reciprocates." The McConaissance continues.- - Laura Prudom
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
Subscribe to the Week