- The Oscars March 2
Matthew McConaughey won the Best Actor Oscar for his powerhouse performance as H.I.V.-positive rodeo cowboy Ron Woodroof in Dallas Buyers Club.
Of his fellow nominees, McConaughey said, "All these performances were impeccable, in my opinion. I didn't see a false note anywhere."
He finished his sincere and emotional speech with a trademark "alright, alright, alright," and still managed to get in a suitably philosophical soundbite: "It's a scientific fact that gratitude reciprocates." The McConaissance continues.- - Laura Prudom
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
Subscribe to the Week