- The Oscars March 2
Matthew McConaughey won the Best Actor Oscar for his powerhouse performance as H.I.V.-positive rodeo cowboy Ron Woodroof in Dallas Buyers Club.
Of his fellow nominees, McConaughey said, "All these performances were impeccable, in my opinion. I didn't see a false note anywhere."
He finished his sincere and emotional speech with a trademark "alright, alright, alright," and still managed to get in a suitably philosophical soundbite: "It's a scientific fact that gratitude reciprocates." The McConaissance continues.- - Laura Prudom
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- How to live a long life, according to science
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Yes, the Federal Reserve is politicized — and that's a good thing
Subscribe to the Week