- The Oscars March 2
12 Years a Slave just won Best Picture at the 86th annual Academy Awards.
"Everyone deserves not just to survive, but to live," said director Steve McQueen during his acceptance speech — a quote from Solomon Northup, on whose 1853 memoir the film was based. McQueen finished the speech by dedicating the award to "all the people who have endured slavery, and the 21 million people who still suffer slavery today."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week