- Nature's Nightmares March 3
In a video that could double as an insane creature feature on SyFy, a water python in Queensland, Australia, was caught on camera battling a crocodile. The five-hour struggle ended with the 10-foot snake killing the crocodile and swallowing it whole. "It was amazing," witness Tiffany Corlis told the BBC. "We saw the snake fighting with the crocodile — it would roll the crocodile around to get a better grip, and coil its body around the crocodile's legs to hold it tight."
Corlis said it took the snake about 15 minutes to chow down on the croc after the battle, and the snake was "definitely very full" when it finished. Since the giant reptiles typically take about three weeks to fully digest large prey, it's safe to say the snake probably won't go hungry for awhile. --Samantha Rollins
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week