- Nature's Nightmares March 3
In a video that could double as an insane creature feature on SyFy, a water python in Queensland, Australia, was caught on camera battling a crocodile. The five-hour struggle ended with the 10-foot snake killing the crocodile and swallowing it whole. "It was amazing," witness Tiffany Corlis told the BBC. "We saw the snake fighting with the crocodile — it would roll the crocodile around to get a better grip, and coil its body around the crocodile's legs to hold it tight."
Corlis said it took the snake about 15 minutes to chow down on the croc after the battle, and the snake was "definitely very full" when it finished. Since the giant reptiles typically take about three weeks to fully digest large prey, it's safe to say the snake probably won't go hungry for awhile. --Samantha Rollins
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 16, 2014
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
Subscribe to the Week