- Watch this March 4
New Daily Show correspondent Jordan Klepper picked a helluva day to join Jon Stewart's team. On Monday night's show, Stewart got his viewers up to speed on Russia's invasion of Ukraine's Crimea region, with all the usual Daily Show flourishes — criticizing Vladimir Putin's land grab, the response from John McCain and other Republicans, plus John Kerry's invasion double standards (and Putin's) — and he even threw in a nice self-referential poke at The Daily Show:
I bet Vladimir Putin's going to feel pretty stupid when he watches this show tonight and sees that he's been caught in a classic Daily Show gotcha moment. Yeah, it's probably pretty hard to keep invading a country when you've been unmasked as a hypocrite. Ukraine, you're welcome?
Klepper's inaugural segment, "live" from Crimea, was less about the situation in Ukraine and more about introducing new talent. It's funny. It would have been funnier on a less news-heavy day. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How to make corn dogs
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week