- Watch this March 4
New Daily Show correspondent Jordan Klepper picked a helluva day to join Jon Stewart's team. On Monday night's show, Stewart got his viewers up to speed on Russia's invasion of Ukraine's Crimea region, with all the usual Daily Show flourishes — criticizing Vladimir Putin's land grab, the response from John McCain and other Republicans, plus John Kerry's invasion double standards (and Putin's) — and he even threw in a nice self-referential poke at The Daily Show:
I bet Vladimir Putin's going to feel pretty stupid when he watches this show tonight and sees that he's been caught in a classic Daily Show gotcha moment. Yeah, it's probably pretty hard to keep invading a country when you've been unmasked as a hypocrite. Ukraine, you're welcome?
Klepper's inaugural segment, "live" from Crimea, was less about the situation in Ukraine and more about introducing new talent. It's funny. It would have been funnier on a less news-heavy day. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The secret advantages of great penmanship
- How to live a long life, according to science
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week