- Watch this March 4
"I'm his biggest fan, and I fired him." - Sarah Silverman on Community creator Dan Harmon.
Harmontown — an upcoming documentary about the mercurial Community creator — promises a behind-the-scenes look at what happened immediately after Harmon was fired as showrunner on the NBC sitcom. "He didn't want to go to therapy, and he needed an avenue to vent," confides a friend — so he took his podcast Harmontown on the road, performing a series of eclectic shows for his small but rapturous cult of fans.
Of course, Community fans already know the happy ending of this story: After a poorly received fourth season, NBC rehired Harmon to revitalize Community for its resurgent (and ongoing) fifth season. But will this documentary offer genuine insight into Harmon's creative process, or will it merely serve as a chronicle of his riches-to-rags-to-riches story? Fans can found out when Harmontown premieres at South by Southwest on March 8. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 11 facts yü should know about the umlaut
Subscribe to the Week