- Watch this March 4
We've all been burned by stories about "real hoverboards" for decades now — but this brand-new "demonstration" of the famed Back to the Future technology comes with a pretty heavy endorsement: Doc Brown himself.
"I'm Christopher Lloyd, and about 25 years ago, I played Doctor Emmett Brown in the film Back to the Future II — a landmark film that, among other things, introduced hoverboards to the world," says Lloyd. Now at the time — as much as we all wanted hoverboards to be real — it was, of course, an impossibility. But I'm proud to announce that thanks to the clever folks with HUVrTech, the technology has caught up with the concept."
Though the HUVrTech video has been available for less than a day, both SlashGear and TechCrunch have declared it a hoax, and it's kind of hard to argue with their conclusions; we've all been burned by stories about "real hoverboards" for decades now, and a real-life version of this technology would presumably be announced with a little more fanfare than a silly, star-studded attempt at a viral video. (It's worth noting that the HUVrTech website has a countdown timer that ends in December 2014, so we might not know what this video is really designed to promote until then.)
So yes, this purported demonstration of a "real hoverboard" is clearly fake — but if Tony Hawk, Moby, Terrell Owens, and Christopher Lloyd himself are all willing to pretend that hoverboards really exist for the sake of a clever video, maybe we should all fantasize for a little while too. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
Subscribe to the Week