- Late Night Antics March 5
On Tuesday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart focused on Republican opposition to food stamps. The stated reason for opposing aid to the hungry is food stamp fraud, Stewart noted, before indulging in a little bit of light debunking. But amid all the tall tales of people using their food stamps to gamble and buy gym memberships, he noticed a strange obsession on Fox News with indignantly judging what kinds of actual food people are buying with food stamps.
The conservative annoyance over food stamps being used on junk food? Stewart said he could understand that: Maybe low-income people should be using taxpayer financed aid to eat healthy — like seafood. "People say, 'eat more fish," he said. "Why can't you spend it on that?" Nope. Roll tape of Fox pundits criticizing food stamp purchases of fresh fish and organic produce. Alright, Stewart asked conservatives, "what's the right mixture of quality and class-based shame poor people should aim for in their meal planning?"
It's not clear. But finally, Stewart walked us through to Fox personalities falling back on the old saying about teaching a man to fish. Ah, he said: Conservatives don't mind poor people eating seafood as long as they caught it themselves. Nope again. "For some f--king weird reason," he concluded, conservatives "really do not want lower-income individuals eating any seafood." It seem implausible, but hey, who's going to argue with a string of carefully selected Fox News clips? --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Stop hating on cyclists
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
Subscribe to the Week