- Coming Soon March 5
The film industry won't rest until everything you loved in your childhood gets a garish big-screen makeover — so the upcoming Paddington movie, based on author Michael Bond's marmalade-loving bear of the same name, has the stink of inevitability about it.
You can probably guess most of the details of the Paddington movie yourself. In the proud tradition of movies like Garfield, The Smurfs, and Alvin and the Chipmunks, Paddington will be a computer-generated bear voiced by Colin Firth. His adventures will take place in a real-world setting populated by slumming English actors like Hugh Bonneville, Sally Hawkins, and Jim Broadbent.
U.S. viewers can check out Paddington in theaters on December 12 — or, you know, just stay in and read the Paddington books to their kids. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
Subscribe to the Week