- Late Night Antics March 6
On Wednesday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart returned to his favorite pet cause (that doesn't involve cable news): The various ways Washington abuses military veterans. In this installment, Stewart focused on the Senate Republicans blocking a bill that would increase health care and education benefits for veterans — and the lack of outrage that has engendered.
The GOP's denial of veterans' benefits has all the elements for a good national shaming, Stewart said: hypocrisy, criticism from veterans' groups, and — this is a Daily Show flourish — nunchuck-wielding nuns. So why aren't voters furious that these Republicans are putting an Iran sanctions bill above U.S. veterans? Watch below to find his solution, but here's a clue: Reverse the two endpoints of Stewart's Shame-o-Meter. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- House hunting: 7 stunning castles in Europe
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week