- Late Night Antics March 6
On Wednesday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart returned to his favorite pet cause (that doesn't involve cable news): The various ways Washington abuses military veterans. In this installment, Stewart focused on the Senate Republicans blocking a bill that would increase health care and education benefits for veterans — and the lack of outrage that has engendered.
The GOP's denial of veterans' benefits has all the elements for a good national shaming, Stewart said: hypocrisy, criticism from veterans' groups, and — this is a Daily Show flourish — nunchuck-wielding nuns. So why aren't voters furious that these Republicans are putting an Iran sanctions bill above U.S. veterans? Watch below to find his solution, but here's a clue: Reverse the two endpoints of Stewart's Shame-o-Meter. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 11 weeknight dinners you can make without a recipe
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
Subscribe to the Week