- Not So Fast March 6
Ellen's (er, Bradley Cooper's if you want to be technical) reign of having the internet's coolest selfie was quickly dethroned by a fighter pilot who allegedly took one from his F-16 cockpit while firing a missile. The problem is, it's not a selfie at all, according to the fact checkers at ABC News.
The pilot's identity has been revealed as Thomas Kristensen, a decorated pilot from the Royal Danish Air Force who has flown thousands of hours over dozens of countries for the unit. The debunked selfie is actually a "well-timed screenshot" from a video posted by the Air Force in October 2012. ABC News has posted the video so you can see the exact moment the air-to-air missile was launched and calm your fears that he was slacking off on the job. --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week