- This is a big deal March 6
Yesterday, Russia Today anchor Liz Wahl abruptly resigned from her position during her newscast, explaining that she no longer wanted to be employed by a network that "whitewashes the actions of [Vladimir] Putin." Her decision was in response to RT's adamantly pro-Russian coverage of the military invasion of Crimea that has angered other anchors on the Kremlin-funded network.
In an interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper, Wahl explained that "the propagandist nature of RT came out in full force" during its coverage of Crimea. "I would hope as a reporter and in life, you should always seek the truth, spread the truth, disseminate the truth," she said. "And what's clear is what's happening right now amid this crisis is that RT is not about the truth. It's about promoting a Putinist agenda."
RT called Wahl's dramatic on-air resignation a "self-promotional stunt."- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- 10 things you need to know today: October 24, 2014
Subscribe to the Week