- This is a big deal March 6
Yesterday, Russia Today anchor Liz Wahl abruptly resigned from her position during her newscast, explaining that she no longer wanted to be employed by a network that "whitewashes the actions of [Vladimir] Putin." Her decision was in response to RT's adamantly pro-Russian coverage of the military invasion of Crimea that has angered other anchors on the Kremlin-funded network.
In an interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper, Wahl explained that "the propagandist nature of RT came out in full force" during its coverage of Crimea. "I would hope as a reporter and in life, you should always seek the truth, spread the truth, disseminate the truth," she said. "And what's clear is what's happening right now amid this crisis is that RT is not about the truth. It's about promoting a Putinist agenda."
RT called Wahl's dramatic on-air resignation a "self-promotional stunt."- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week