- This is a big deal March 6
Yesterday, Russia Today anchor Liz Wahl abruptly resigned from her position during her newscast, explaining that she no longer wanted to be employed by a network that "whitewashes the actions of [Vladimir] Putin." Her decision was in response to RT's adamantly pro-Russian coverage of the military invasion of Crimea that has angered other anchors on the Kremlin-funded network.
In an interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper, Wahl explained that "the propagandist nature of RT came out in full force" during its coverage of Crimea. "I would hope as a reporter and in life, you should always seek the truth, spread the truth, disseminate the truth," she said. "And what's clear is what's happening right now amid this crisis is that RT is not about the truth. It's about promoting a Putinist agenda."
RT called Wahl's dramatic on-air resignation a "self-promotional stunt."- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week