- Coming Soon March 6
If there was any confusion before, the first trailer for Will Gluck's upcoming Annie remake takes great pains to establish that this loose adaptation of the popular musical is set in modern-day New York City. (They even pack a George Clooney reference into the first 30 seconds.)
Beasts of the Southern Wild star Quvenzhane Wallis steps in as little orphan Annie, and Cameron Diaz is playing her cynical foster mother Miss Hannigan. Daddy Warbucks has been reimagined as Will Stacks (Jamie Foxx), a billionaire running for mayor. Though he initially befriends Annie as a PR move, he discovers a genuine affection for the young girl as they spend more time together.
All of that sounds promising — but it's much harder to get excited about the trailer's rendition of "Tomorrow," which is buried under a thick layer of auto-tune. In the end, it's going to be tough to judge this remake without seeing the total package. Fortunately, Annie will come out this year (but not until Christmas Day). --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
Subscribe to the Week