- 2016 Watch March 6
The annual Conservative Political Action Conference got underway Thursday, which means you can expect to hear a slew of vocal denouncements of the run-amok federal government over the next few days. To wit, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) got the party going by declaring, "We need to abolish the IRS."
In its place, Cruz advocated a flat tax system so everyone could file their taxes "on a postcard." It's an idea he and others have floated before; Steve Forbes literally wrote the book on it almost a decade ago. Yet the idea has never really gained traction with the American public, and even some on the right think it's a well-intentioned, though deeply flawed, plan.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- The European Union was supposed to end nationalism. It gave it new life instead.
Subscribe to the Week