- 2016 Watch March 6
The annual Conservative Political Action Conference got underway Thursday, which means you can expect to hear a slew of vocal denouncements of the run-amok federal government over the next few days. To wit, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) got the party going by declaring, "We need to abolish the IRS."
In its place, Cruz advocated a flat tax system so everyone could file their taxes "on a postcard." It's an idea he and others have floated before; Steve Forbes literally wrote the book on it almost a decade ago. Yet the idea has never really gained traction with the American public, and even some on the right think it's a well-intentioned, though deeply flawed, plan.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How I lost all my money
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- The best books we read in 2014
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week