- Rambo March 6
The Conservative Political Action Conference is an annual, insular gathering for Republicans to talk amongst themselves about the evils of big government and their ideas for fixing it. It's a multi-day festival of dogmatic red meat — "Abolish the IRS!" — in which GOP lawmakers and luminaries rile up the party base and tout their conservative cred.
Here, a representative picture from this year's gathering:
That's Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) presenting retiring Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) with a gun — reportedly a lifetime achievement award from the NRA — on CPAC's opening day. In his remarks, McConnell would then claim that President Obama was "treating the Constitution worse than a placemat at Denny's."
In case you were wondering: yes, McConnell is facing a primary challenge this year.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
Subscribe to the Week