- Rambo March 6
The Conservative Political Action Conference is an annual, insular gathering for Republicans to talk amongst themselves about the evils of big government and their ideas for fixing it. It's a multi-day festival of dogmatic red meat — "Abolish the IRS!" — in which GOP lawmakers and luminaries rile up the party base and tout their conservative cred.
Here, a representative picture from this year's gathering:
That's Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) presenting retiring Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) with a gun — reportedly a lifetime achievement award from the NRA — on CPAC's opening day. In his remarks, McConnell would then claim that President Obama was "treating the Constitution worse than a placemat at Denny's."
In case you were wondering: yes, McConnell is facing a primary challenge this year.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- How to develop a photographic memory in 4 easy steps
Subscribe to the Week