- Rambo March 6
The Conservative Political Action Conference is an annual, insular gathering for Republicans to talk amongst themselves about the evils of big government and their ideas for fixing it. It's a multi-day festival of dogmatic red meat — "Abolish the IRS!" — in which GOP lawmakers and luminaries rile up the party base and tout their conservative cred.
Here, a representative picture from this year's gathering:
That's Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) presenting retiring Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) with a gun — reportedly a lifetime achievement award from the NRA — on CPAC's opening day. In his remarks, McConnell would then claim that President Obama was "treating the Constitution worse than a placemat at Denny's."
In case you were wondering: yes, McConnell is facing a primary challenge this year.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
Subscribe to the Week