- Coming Soon March 6
"Some of you ask, 'Why did I leave Hollywood?'" says Nicole Kidman in the first trailer for the upcoming biopic Grace of Monaco. "Well, I left because... Because I fell in love with a charming prince."
Unfortunately, the real story is a little less idyllic. Grace of Monaco chronicles actress Grace Kelly's troubled marriage to Prince Rainier III (Tim Roth), who rejected her pleas to return to acting after their marriage. "I don't know how I'm going to keep living with him," she confides in a friend. "I don't know how I'm going to spend the rest of my life in this place where I can't be me."
It's a tragic and fascinating story — but will audiences be interested in seeing it dramatized on the big screen? Last year's similarly pitched Diana, which starred Naomi Watts as the titular princess, was a massive flop both critically and commercially. We'll see if Grace of Monaco fares any better when it premiere at Cannes later this year. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Ban PowerPoint!
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week