- Coming Soon March 6
"Some of you ask, 'Why did I leave Hollywood?'" says Nicole Kidman in the first trailer for the upcoming biopic Grace of Monaco. "Well, I left because... Because I fell in love with a charming prince."
Unfortunately, the real story is a little less idyllic. Grace of Monaco chronicles actress Grace Kelly's troubled marriage to Prince Rainier III (Tim Roth), who rejected her pleas to return to acting after their marriage. "I don't know how I'm going to keep living with him," she confides in a friend. "I don't know how I'm going to spend the rest of my life in this place where I can't be me."
It's a tragic and fascinating story — but will audiences be interested in seeing it dramatized on the big screen? Last year's similarly pitched Diana, which starred Naomi Watts as the titular princess, was a massive flop both critically and commercially. We'll see if Grace of Monaco fares any better when it premiere at Cannes later this year. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 10 things you need to know today: November 26, 2014
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
Subscribe to the Week