- Oof March 6
Legoland will close up shop this weekend in response to violent messages from far-right extremists who were angered that the British resort was preparing to host a Muslim family fun day. A Muslim organization had booked rooms for 1,000 families, which put Legoland in the crosshairs of hate groups.
Legoland's Facebook page was battered with abusive messages from right-wing groups, including the British National Party, which said the resort should be "ashamed of themselves for bowing to these Muslims." The Muslim Research and Development Foundation, the organization behind the event, said it was open to all faiths and was looking forward to throwing the event in an "enjoyable, safe, and relaxing environment."
Details of the messages and their origin remain scarce, but a hotel spokesperson said several right-wing groups had "threatened both the visitors and employees" of Legoland. It will reopen next weekend.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
Subscribe to the Week