- Boring But Important March 7
I guess this is a promotion? On Thursday, the Senate confirmed Gil Kerlikowske, the head of the Office of National Drug Control Policy — or "drug czar" — to lead U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the Homeland Security Department agency that oversees the Border Patrol. The job has been open since 2011. Kerlikowske is a former police chief of Seattle — which, to be fair, is near a major U.S. border.
If Obama is looking for a new drug czar, maybe he could see if CNN celebrity doctor Sanjay Gupta is interested. Gupta turned Obama down for Surgeon General five years ago, but maybe he'd be more interested in a position where he could influence policy on medical marijuana.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
Subscribe to the Week