- Boring But Important March 7
I guess this is a promotion? On Thursday, the Senate confirmed Gil Kerlikowske, the head of the Office of National Drug Control Policy — or "drug czar" — to lead U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the Homeland Security Department agency that oversees the Border Patrol. The job has been open since 2011. Kerlikowske is a former police chief of Seattle — which, to be fair, is near a major U.S. border.
If Obama is looking for a new drug czar, maybe he could see if CNN celebrity doctor Sanjay Gupta is interested. Gupta turned Obama down for Surgeon General five years ago, but maybe he'd be more interested in a position where he could influence policy on medical marijuana.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- How to live a long life, according to science
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
- These two studies should be a wake-up call to natural-childbirth extremists
Subscribe to the Week