- Look at this March 7
Yesterday, AMC released the first cryptic teaser for Mad Men's upcoming seventh season: A 15-second shot of Don Draper disembarking from a plane. Today — in what constitutes an embarrassment of riches for the notoriously secretive show — AMC has released the first piece of promo art, which was drawn by Milton Glaser of "I ♥ NY" fame:
No, you're not mistaken: That's basically just the show's regular logo slapped over a much more colorful background. But according to Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner, there's a good reason for that: "There is a dreamlike quality to it, and believe it or not, it is related to the show, and not because it's psychedelic," he said to The New York Times. "It maintains the idea that this is somehow going on in Don Draper's mind, which is what the story is always about — and what the back of his head is about, on some level." Yeah, nothing psychedelic about that.
Weiner didn't reveal any more details about the enigmatic poster's real meaning, so we're going to assume that it's a well-disguised Magic Eye drawing that reveals all the characters have been in purgatory all along. (Keep staring until you agree.)- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 12 holiday gifts for the hardest-to-shop-for people on your list
- Girls on Film: 5 essential World War II movies directed by women
Subscribe to the Week