- Look at this March 7
Yesterday, AMC released the first cryptic teaser for Mad Men's upcoming seventh season: A 15-second shot of Don Draper disembarking from a plane. Today — in what constitutes an embarrassment of riches for the notoriously secretive show — AMC has released the first piece of promo art, which was drawn by Milton Glaser of "I ♥ NY" fame:
No, you're not mistaken: That's basically just the show's regular logo slapped over a much more colorful background. But according to Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner, there's a good reason for that: "There is a dreamlike quality to it, and believe it or not, it is related to the show, and not because it's psychedelic," he said to The New York Times. "It maintains the idea that this is somehow going on in Don Draper's mind, which is what the story is always about — and what the back of his head is about, on some level." Yeah, nothing psychedelic about that.
Weiner didn't reveal any more details about the enigmatic poster's real meaning, so we're going to assume that it's a well-disguised Magic Eye drawing that reveals all the characters have been in purgatory all along. (Keep staring until you agree.)- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
Subscribe to the Week