- Look at this March 7
Yesterday, AMC released the first cryptic teaser for Mad Men's upcoming seventh season: A 15-second shot of Don Draper disembarking from a plane. Today — in what constitutes an embarrassment of riches for the notoriously secretive show — AMC has released the first piece of promo art, which was drawn by Milton Glaser of "I ♥ NY" fame:
No, you're not mistaken: That's basically just the show's regular logo slapped over a much more colorful background. But according to Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner, there's a good reason for that: "There is a dreamlike quality to it, and believe it or not, it is related to the show, and not because it's psychedelic," he said to The New York Times. "It maintains the idea that this is somehow going on in Don Draper's mind, which is what the story is always about — and what the back of his head is about, on some level." Yeah, nothing psychedelic about that.
Weiner didn't reveal any more details about the enigmatic poster's real meaning, so we're going to assume that it's a well-disguised Magic Eye drawing that reveals all the characters have been in purgatory all along. (Keep staring until you agree.)- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 'Having it all' has officially jumped the shark
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
Subscribe to the Week