- Whoa March 7
This is incredibly cool. Isaac Newton worked at the Royal Society, and the organization has kept since 1688 the original telescope that Newton himself built.
Watch the video to understand a nice bit of chemistry as well. Nowadays telescope mirrors are made out of aluminum, which requires a great deal of electricity to refine. That was obviously impossible in the pre-electric age, so Newton relied on clever alloy chemistry to make a mirror shiny enough for astronomy.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to survive a spaceship disaster
Subscribe to the Week