- Watch this March 10
In 1983, police in Manhattan Beach, Calif., arrested a teacher at McMartin Preschool after a mother accused him of sexually molesting her young son. A few more arrests followed at McMartin, then at other preschools, and soon the country was in a panic about an epidemic of child sex abuse tied to Satanic rituals and child pornography. Thirty years later, Retro Report reminds us that, as with many sensational stories in the media, the narrative sometimes gets ahead of the facts. The McMartin Preschool case changed America — for better and worse — but it ruined a number of lives, too. Retro Report digs into the case and talks to some of the people involved, providing both a post mortem of a fascinating, frustrating, little-remembered case and a look at people who tried their best to do the right thing and largely failed. It's worth your 13 minutes. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
Subscribe to the Week