- Really? March 10
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un is the most popular politician in the world — at least if the Hermit Kingdom's state-run media is to be believed. Running uncontested in the first election for the Supreme People's Assembly since assuming control of the country, Kim was the unanimous choice in his district, which reported a perfect 100 percent turnout. (For reference, only 61.8 percent of voters turned out for the 2012 U.S. presidential election.)
"This is an expression of all the service personnel and people's absolute support and profound trust in supreme leader Kim Jong-un as they single-mindedly remain loyal to him," the Korean Central News Agency said, according to the Associated Press.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- The American middle class is no longer safe from poverty — and that might be a good thing
- Adrian Peterson and our misguided debate about spanking
Subscribe to the Week