- Really? March 10
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un is the most popular politician in the world — at least if the Hermit Kingdom's state-run media is to be believed. Running uncontested in the first election for the Supreme People's Assembly since assuming control of the country, Kim was the unanimous choice in his district, which reported a perfect 100 percent turnout. (For reference, only 61.8 percent of voters turned out for the 2012 U.S. presidential election.)
"This is an expression of all the service personnel and people's absolute support and profound trust in supreme leader Kim Jong-un as they single-mindedly remain loyal to him," the Korean Central News Agency said, according to the Associated Press.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Could better U.S.-Cuban relations thwart baseball's human smuggling problem?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week