- Really? March 10
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un is the most popular politician in the world — at least if the Hermit Kingdom's state-run media is to be believed. Running uncontested in the first election for the Supreme People's Assembly since assuming control of the country, Kim was the unanimous choice in his district, which reported a perfect 100 percent turnout. (For reference, only 61.8 percent of voters turned out for the 2012 U.S. presidential election.)
"This is an expression of all the service personnel and people's absolute support and profound trust in supreme leader Kim Jong-un as they single-mindedly remain loyal to him," the Korean Central News Agency said, according to the Associated Press.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
Subscribe to the Week