- NOPE March 11
Over the weekend, brooding "Royals" singer Lorde and the constantly heartbroken Taylor Swift were captured having a girls' weekend in New York. We were excited to see this new friendship blossom, but shock jockey Kyle Sandilands quizzed the 17-year-old singer in an interview if the relationship was something more.
"I see you guys' pictures everywhere. Are you guys like, uh, are you together now?" he asked her. "Not together as in lesbians. I'm not talking about 'Ellen together.' I'm talking about, like, you guys are friendly right?"
After an awkward silence, Lorde shot back: "What do you mean you're not talking about 'Ellen together?' Is there something wrong with lesbians? Is that what you're trying to say?" Sandilands tried downplaying the joke, but Lorde told him to shut up. She said they're friends and called Swift a "gorgeous creature."
Listen to cringe-inducing interview below. --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What the media gets wrong about Jeb Bush
Subscribe to the Week