- NOPE March 11
Over the weekend, brooding "Royals" singer Lorde and the constantly heartbroken Taylor Swift were captured having a girls' weekend in New York. We were excited to see this new friendship blossom, but shock jockey Kyle Sandilands quizzed the 17-year-old singer in an interview if the relationship was something more.
"I see you guys' pictures everywhere. Are you guys like, uh, are you together now?" he asked her. "Not together as in lesbians. I'm not talking about 'Ellen together.' I'm talking about, like, you guys are friendly right?"
After an awkward silence, Lorde shot back: "What do you mean you're not talking about 'Ellen together?' Is there something wrong with lesbians? Is that what you're trying to say?" Sandilands tried downplaying the joke, but Lorde told him to shut up. She said they're friends and called Swift a "gorgeous creature."
Listen to cringe-inducing interview below. --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week