- small town news March 12
An Australian town is sick of being treated as a scratching post, so it has voted to permanently ban cats from roaming around. In the town Shire of Yarra Ranges, the newly approved "24-hour cat curfew" mandates that cats can't ever leave their owner's property to go do cat things outside of their home.
The bill was overwhelmingly supported by the 300 people who voted, with 60 percent in favor of a 24-hour ban. Cats will have the next six months to skittishly walk by strangers and claw at their neighbor's garbage cans before the new law is enforced.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
Subscribe to the Week