- small town news March 12
An Australian town is sick of being treated as a scratching post, so it has voted to permanently ban cats from roaming around. In the town Shire of Yarra Ranges, the newly approved "24-hour cat curfew" mandates that cats can't ever leave their owner's property to go do cat things outside of their home.
The bill was overwhelmingly supported by the 300 people who voted, with 60 percent in favor of a 24-hour ban. Cats will have the next six months to skittishly walk by strangers and claw at their neighbor's garbage cans before the new law is enforced.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week