- small town news March 12
An Australian town is sick of being treated as a scratching post, so it has voted to permanently ban cats from roaming around. In the town Shire of Yarra Ranges, the newly approved "24-hour cat curfew" mandates that cats can't ever leave their owner's property to go do cat things outside of their home.
The bill was overwhelmingly supported by the 300 people who voted, with 60 percent in favor of a 24-hour ban. Cats will have the next six months to skittishly walk by strangers and claw at their neighbor's garbage cans before the new law is enforced.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to make corn dogs
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week