- This just in March 12
J.J. Abrams' quest to cast the next generation of Jedi for Star Wars: Episode VII is reportedly nearing its end. According to multiple sources at Variety, five young actors are currently battling to secure the film's lead role. They are:
* Jesse Plemons, of Friday Night Lights and Breaking Bad fame
* Ed Speelers, who currently stars in Downton Abbey
*John Boyega, who starred in Attack the Block
*Matthew James Thomas, a theater actor who had a supporting role in 2000's Billy Elliot
*Ray Fisher, who played Muhammad Ali in New York Theatre Workshop's Fetch Clay, Make Man last year
Specifics of the role remain unclear, but Variety says the character "is believed to be a Jedi apprentice." May the Force be with all of them.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
Subscribe to the Week