- Better late than never March 12
Of the several mysteries that True Detective left on the table, there's one that the show barely bothered to acknowledge: Why did things end between Rust and his girlfriend Laurie?
As it turns out, that's a question True Detective originally intended to answer. Via Slate, Extra has a deleted scene that depicts the couple arguing over whether or not to have children. When Rust explains that he believes it's morally wrong to have children, she fires back at him: "You're scared. Or is it you don't... with me? You don't love me that way?"
Rust refuses to back down — and while the clip doesn't end with their breakup, it's clear that the relationship is in serious jeopardy. Check it out below, and fantasize about the revelations that the rest of the deleted scenes could include — like Rust's meticulous mustache-grooming technique. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- The economics of Halloween: By the numbers
Subscribe to the Week