- This just in March 13
Early Thursday, a gray sedan drove through a barricade and into a crowd at the South By Southwest festival in Austin. Police say the car killed two people on a moped and injured at least 23 others, five of them critically. The driver, who was fleeing a DWI stop, is in custody. The crowd was on the blocked-off Red River Street outside the Mowhawk club, where rapper Tyler, the Creator, was performing. --Peter Weber
UPDATE: Here's video of Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo explaining what happened, and what happens next:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
Subscribe to the Week