- This just in March 13
Early Thursday, a gray sedan drove through a barricade and into a crowd at the South By Southwest festival in Austin. Police say the car killed two people on a moped and injured at least 23 others, five of them critically. The driver, who was fleeing a DWI stop, is in custody. The crowd was on the blocked-off Red River Street outside the Mowhawk club, where rapper Tyler, the Creator, was performing. --Peter Weber
UPDATE: Here's video of Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo explaining what happened, and what happens next:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
Subscribe to the Week