- Living Large March 13
The book publishing industry, a notorious slouch when it comes to emerging trends on the internet, is not going to let this Tumblr thing come and go without earning a buck or two. Chronicle Books, based in San Francisco, has announced on — where else? — Tumblr that it is accepting submissions for its Great Tumblr Book Search.
The winner will receive $300 worth of Chronicle books and a "feedback session" with a Chronicle editor, while the Tumblr itself will be "considered for publication." Lest you think that last reward sounds like not much of a reward at all, Martin Rouse at Melville House points out that Chronicle did agree to publish last year's winner:
Paul Laudiero’s Sh*t Rough Drafts (based on his Tumblr of the same name) will be published on April 15th, and is available for pre-order on Amazon — clear evidence that he has #madeit and is #livinglarge. [Melville House]
The industry has had a spotty record converting popular internet sites into publishing gold, mostly because it is charging for something that everyone can get for free. However, there have been some successful crossovers, including Stuff White People Like and the recent Humans of New York. Our nominee for the next Great Tumblr Book is the NYC Crying Guide: The Best/Worst Places to Cry in New York City.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Why is Obama still smoking?
- How to live a long life, according to science
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week