- Really? March 14
It might be easy to forget, but Lady Gaga is still around. She really wanted you to know that in a bizarre performance last night at South By Southwest that included a mechanical bull, a simulated pig roast on a wooden spit, and a part where she gets "puked" on. And that was all in the first 15 minutes.
The miserable-sounding experience took place at the Doritos stage last night, where little monsters had to complete a "Doritos Bold Mission" — like share a piece of clothing with a stranger and brag about it on social media — to gain access to the free show. The rest of the show didn't seem much better, since she played only two real "hits" and spent the hour jumping around doing weird things in an effort to go viral.
According to a Billboard reporter, that effort included some fiery words:
"You don't need a f--king record label, you don't need a company, you are the spirit of every artist!" she cried before introducing "Swine," the neon orange Doritos logo shining brightly behind her. "Let's f--king celebrate! This is the moment now! I won't play by your f--king rules this our world!" [Billboard]
You can watch Lady Gaga get vomited on (it looks like slime, don't worry) below. --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- Your weekly streaming recommendation: The One I Love
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week