- Backlash March 17
My goodness. On Friday, Sam Adams brewer Boston Beer Co. dropped its sponsorship of Boston's annual St. Patrick's Day Parade and Heineken pulled out of New York's, each brewery citing the exclusion of gay and lesbian groups from the respective parades. On Sunday, the U.S. arm of Ireland's most famous beer maker joined the boycott, withdrawing its name and greenbacks from New York's biggest Irish-themed parade.
"Guinness has a strong history of supporting diversity and being an advocate for equality for all," the Dublin brewery said. "We were hopeful that the policy of exclusion would be reversed for this year's parade. As this has not come to pass, Guinness has withdrawn its participation."
The mayors of New York (Bill de Blasio) and Boston (Marty Walsh) also declined to march in the parades, after negotiations to allow gay-rights groups to march led nowhere. There is no gay litmus test for people marching in the parades, but organizers don't allow marchers to display any sign of sexual orientation. In New York, the magnificently named organization the Ancient Order of the Hibernians has run the parade for more than 150 years; in Boston, the longtime organizer is the conservative Allied War Veteran's Council.
If you're wondering how this became a big issue, Garrett Quinn at Vice dates the standoff to court battles in the mid-1990s, when the Supreme Court ruled that the private organizers of Boston's St. Patrick's Day parade have the right to exclude whomever they wish — and gay rights groups decided they were not okay with being so publicly excluded.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 11 facts yü should know about the umlaut
Subscribe to the Week