- There Will Be Dragons March 19
HBO's Game of Thrones delivers no shortage of blockbuster action on the small screen — but how much cooler would it be to go to a movie theater for an original adventure in Westeros? Believe it or not, that's not just a green dream: According to author George R.R. Martin, the possibility of a Game of Thrones movie is being "actively discussed."
"It all depends on how long the main series runs," said Martin in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter. "Do we run for seven years? Do we run for eight? Do we run for 10? The books get bigger and bigger. It might need a feature to tie things up. Something with a feature budget, like $100 million for two hours. Those dragons get real big, you know."
Martin also teased the possibility of a prequel movie based on his Tales of Dunk and Egg novellas, adding that he has "about a dozen more" stories he plans to write in the series — and, we presume, that long-rumored Hot Pie spinoff.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
Subscribe to the Week