- There Will Be Dragons March 19
HBO's Game of Thrones delivers no shortage of blockbuster action on the small screen — but how much cooler would it be to go to a movie theater for an original adventure in Westeros? Believe it or not, that's not just a green dream: According to author George R.R. Martin, the possibility of a Game of Thrones movie is being "actively discussed."
"It all depends on how long the main series runs," said Martin in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter. "Do we run for seven years? Do we run for eight? Do we run for 10? The books get bigger and bigger. It might need a feature to tie things up. Something with a feature budget, like $100 million for two hours. Those dragons get real big, you know."
Martin also teased the possibility of a prequel movie based on his Tales of Dunk and Egg novellas, adding that he has "about a dozen more" stories he plans to write in the series — and, we presume, that long-rumored Hot Pie spinoff.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Surviving a plane crash
- Lauren Bacall's remarkably honest account of Humphrey Bogart's death
Subscribe to the Week