- Quotables March 20
Former Missouri defensive end Michael Sam, who is poised to become the first openly gay player in the NFL, thanked his alma mater for the "love and acceptance" it gave him in a letter published Thursday in the Columbia Missourian.
"From my first recruiting trip to the University of Missouri, I felt something extraordinary and special — something I didn't feel anyplace else," Sam wrote. "I didn't have a name for it then; I do now. It's called family."
"And to me that family is defined by unconditional love," he added.
Head over to the Columbia Missourian to read the whole thing here.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 11 weeknight dinners you can make without a recipe
- 10 things you need to know today: September 17, 2014
- Your 2-year-old doesn't need to go to school
Subscribe to the Week