- Quotables March 21
The Academy handed out 24 separate awards at the 86th Oscars ceremony earlier this month — but if you asked the average person what he or she remembers about the evening, it would probably involve something about pizza, selfies, or Adele Dazeem. The latter really took off, spawning a Twitter parody, countless memes, and a "Travoltify Yourself" name generator that quickly became Slate's highest-trafficked article of all time.
But how does Frozen's Idina Menzel — the subject of John Travolta's unfortunate Oscar flub — feel about the fact that "Adele Dazeem" has taken on a life of her own? As it turns out, she's just fine with it. "That threw me for a minute, but then I just got back on track and reminded myself of where I was," says Menzel in an interview with Billboard. "He was really gracious and sent me this gorgeous email, and we're buddies and it's all cool. Please, I mean, I've only benefited from it." Way to let it go, Adele.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 11 facts yü should know about the umlaut
Subscribe to the Week