- Quotables March 21
The Academy handed out 24 separate awards at the 86th Oscars ceremony earlier this month — but if you asked the average person what he or she remembers about the evening, it would probably involve something about pizza, selfies, or Adele Dazeem. The latter really took off, spawning a Twitter parody, countless memes, and a "Travoltify Yourself" name generator that quickly became Slate's highest-trafficked article of all time.
But how does Frozen's Idina Menzel — the subject of John Travolta's unfortunate Oscar flub — feel about the fact that "Adele Dazeem" has taken on a life of her own? As it turns out, she's just fine with it. "That threw me for a minute, but then I just got back on track and reminded myself of where I was," says Menzel in an interview with Billboard. "He was really gracious and sent me this gorgeous email, and we're buddies and it's all cool. Please, I mean, I've only benefited from it." Way to let it go, Adele.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week