- The future has arrived March 22
You don't need to see BlackBerry's share price to know the once-ubiquitous smartphone is now struggling to compete.
All you need is Sasha and Malia Obama, who long ago outstripped Dad in the Cool Department by switching to iPhones. President Obama, on the other hand, has been stuck with his BlackBerry since taking office in 2008, because the phone still boasts the most secure encryption technology.
But photos of the commander-in-chief may soon feature him tapping away on an Android device instead.
The White House's technology team and Communications Agency is testing LG Electronics and Samsung phones "for internal use," according to a Wall Street Journal report.
Officials said any implementation of the new phones is still months away, so Sasha and Malia have plenty of time to school their dad in the art of the selfie. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The myth of the stay-at-home dad
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
Subscribe to the Week