- FYI March 24
While it wasn't the second-coming of The Hunger Games, the dystopian action flick Divergent did rather well for itself, bringing in an estimated $56 million in the weekend box office. While it was a slightly lower-than-expected opening, fans can rejoice; a sequel, Insurgent, is slated for release in March of next year while the final piece in the trilogy, Allegiant, will come out in 2016. Kermit and the rest of the gang discovered it's not easy bringing in the green: Muppets Most Wanted came in a distant second, with $16.5 million. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- Rise of the machines
- 10 things you need to know today: October 20, 2014
Subscribe to the Week