- This just in March 24
At least 32 people were injured this morning in Chicago when a commuter train careened off its tracks and veered into an escalator. The eight-car train breached the platform shortly before 3 a.m., according to a fire department spokesman. Twenty-six people were listed in good condition and the other six were listed in fair condition at an area hospital.
The cause of the crash was not immediately known. CTA spokesman Brian Steele said the train appeared to be traveling faster than normal when it entered the station. "We will be looking at everything — equipment, signals, the human factor," Steele said, adding that the conductor was talking with investigators. Read more at NBC Chicago.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Stop hating on cyclists
Subscribe to the Week