- This just in March 24
At least 32 people were injured this morning in Chicago when a commuter train careened off its tracks and veered into an escalator. The eight-car train breached the platform shortly before 3 a.m., according to a fire department spokesman. Twenty-six people were listed in good condition and the other six were listed in fair condition at an area hospital.
The cause of the crash was not immediately known. CTA spokesman Brian Steele said the train appeared to be traveling faster than normal when it entered the station. "We will be looking at everything — equipment, signals, the human factor," Steele said, adding that the conductor was talking with investigators. Read more at NBC Chicago.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The case for voting (even if America is a corrupt plutocracy rigged by the rich)
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week