- Them's the rules March 25
On Monday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart considered the fate of President Obama's nominee for surgeon general, Dr. Vivek Murthy, whose appointment is in trouble due to some comments he's made in favor of gun safety measures. One example Senate Republicans are highlighting is a 2012 tweet... in which Murthy said he was tired of politicians being scared of the NRA. Stewart noted the irony of Murthy being proved right — Democrats alone could confirm him, but up to 10 are balking because of strong opposition from the NRA — and then tried to find a sensible middle ground between suspending kids over fake guns and sinking the nomination of "America's scold" because he once warned that guns can be bad for your health. "You know, bullets are not generally considered super foods," Stewart reminded Murthy's critics. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- 10 things you need to know today: October 24, 2014
- 10 self-sabotaging interview mistakes to avoid
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Keira Knightley on Laggies, relationships, and surviving your 20s
Subscribe to the Week