- Them's the rules March 25
On Monday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart considered the fate of President Obama's nominee for surgeon general, Dr. Vivek Murthy, whose appointment is in trouble due to some comments he's made in favor of gun safety measures. One example Senate Republicans are highlighting is a 2012 tweet... in which Murthy said he was tired of politicians being scared of the NRA. Stewart noted the irony of Murthy being proved right — Democrats alone could confirm him, but up to 10 are balking because of strong opposition from the NRA — and then tried to find a sensible middle ground between suspending kids over fake guns and sinking the nomination of "America's scold" because he once warned that guns can be bad for your health. "You know, bullets are not generally considered super foods," Stewart reminded Murthy's critics. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How I lost all my money
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- George W. Bush 'ran the country like a cable network,' and other political insights from Chris Rock
Subscribe to the Week