- Backlash March 25
When Vogue presented Kim Kardashian and Kanye West as April's cover stars, not all of the glossy's readers were pleased. In fact, there was enough backlash for Vogue Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour to issue an official statement defending her decision to feature the controversial celebrities. In addition to backlash from readers on Twitter, members of the media and celebrities also expressed their disapproval.
As former Deadline blogger Nikki Finke puts it:
I'm loving the big backlash aimed at Anna Wintour for putting Kim Kardashian on Vogue cover. Issue should come with barf bag.— Nikki Finke (@NikkiFinke) March 21, 2014
Meanwhile, BuzzFeed Senior Editor Matt Bellassai had an unconventional reason for purchasing the issue:
I'm gonna buy the Kanye and Kim Vogue issue just so I can burn it.
— Matt Bellassai (@MattBellassai) March 21, 2014
Well......I guess I'm canceling my Vogue subscription. Who is with me???— Sarah Michelle (@RealSMG) March 21, 2014
Expressing her disapproval to her 234,000 Twitter followers is one way to get the point across, but the former Buffy star probably shouldn't expect a Vogue cover of her own anytime soon.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- California's epic drought
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Peter Thiel, and the not-so-secret secret of innovative success
- 10 things you need to know today: September 20, 2014
- How Pope Francis could turn out to be a stealth reformer
Subscribe to the Week