- Coming Soon March 25
Earlier this year, the Kellan Lutz vehicle The Legend of Hercules thudded into theaters with 3 percent positive reviews and an $18.8 million gross on a $70 million budget. Let's hope that The Legend of Hercules was a failure of execution and not concept, because the second blockbuster take on the storied demigod is slated to hit theaters this summer.
The first teaser for Brett Ratner's Hercules reintroduces the hero to audiences with a grandiose monologue. "No matter how far you go, man cannot escape his fate," says the voiceover. "Are you a murderer? Are you a mercenary who turns his back on the innocent? We believe in you. We have faith in you. Remember the deeds you have performed. The labors you have accomplished. Are you only the legend, or are you the truth behind the legend?"
Hercules would look like yet another second-rate 300 knockoff if not for one thing: The presence of the unfailingly charismatic Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in the title role. Unfortunately, this teaser doesn't give us much to go on: A bunch of action shots and the sure-to-be-endlessly-quoted capper, "I. AM. HERCULEEEEEEEEES!"
Will this blockbuster take revitalize the legendary hero on the big screen? We'll find out when Hercules hits theaters in July. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 10 things you need to know today: October 20, 2014
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Rise of the machines
Subscribe to the Week