- Them's the rules March 25
It took 80 years, but Monopoly finally realized that not everyone follows its official rules. (Honestly, who takes the time to figure out taxes?) So, Hasbro is tapping into the creative hive mind of its Facebook fans to create an upcoming edition full of user-created rules.
For the next ten days, users on the game's Facebook page can vote on proposed rules each day until the top five are chosen. Rules like freezing assets so you can't earn money or forcing gamers to go around the board once before they can begin scooping up property are being considered. Hasbro will pick the top five rules to include in part of a special version of Monopoly.
The new rules will also be featured as an option in the regular game, with one caveat: "The official Monopoly rules will not change," the company told the New York Times. That doesn't mean you can't still play your own way (we won't tell).- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 10 things you need to know today: September 21, 2014
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
Subscribe to the Week