- exit this way March 25
The party is finally over for Four Loko.
The canned alcoholic energy drink's parent company, Phusion Products LLC, agreed to halt production of the incredibly sugary beverage often favored by underage drinkers. The decision comes as a result of a settlement with 20 states that accused the company of promoting underage drinking and failing to warn consumers of the dangers of drinking large quantities of alcohol combined with caffeine.
Phusion Products LLC initially got in trouble in 2010 by the Food and Drug Administration when it declared Four Loko an unsafe product. Consuming the drink led to a condition called a "state of wide-awake drunk" linked to alcohol poisoning, car accidents, and even assaults.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- Don't change a thing: 8 inventions that never needed updating
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week