- Now You Know March 26
Admit it: You've probably peed in the pool at least once. It's convenient, nobody knows, and chlorine kills all the gross stuff in urine anyway... right?
Wrong! Peeing in the pool is now not only gross and lazy, but a study from the American Chemical Society's Journal of Environmental and Science Technology reports that it can also be a potential health hazard. When you pee in the pool, said Lindsay Abrams at Salon, your urine combines with chlorine to form toxic concoctions such as trichloramine and cyanogen chloride — the stuff that's been used in chemical warfare. It's no surprise that when these chemicals are released into the water and air, they can wreak havoc on your lungs, heart, and nervous system.
So, if this hasn't scared you off from the pool, at least keep it clean next time you go for a swim.- - Kaitlin Roberts
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
Subscribe to the Week