- Now You Know March 26
Admit it: You've probably peed in the pool at least once. It's convenient, nobody knows, and chlorine kills all the gross stuff in urine anyway... right?
Wrong! Peeing in the pool is now not only gross and lazy, but a study from the American Chemical Society's Journal of Environmental and Science Technology reports that it can also be a potential health hazard. When you pee in the pool, said Lindsay Abrams at Salon, your urine combines with chlorine to form toxic concoctions such as trichloramine and cyanogen chloride — the stuff that's been used in chemical warfare. It's no surprise that when these chemicals are released into the water and air, they can wreak havoc on your lungs, heart, and nervous system.
So, if this hasn't scared you off from the pool, at least keep it clean next time you go for a swim.- - Kaitlin Roberts
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week